Note that these are not "how to excel" or "how to advance" but simply "how to not get fired." I'm not including all of them, just a sampling.
- Be the first one in the office and the last one out.
- Find ways to cut costs.
- Find ways to bring in money -- sign a new client or develop a new product or service.
- Take on important projects to make yourself harder to fire.
- Keep pictures of your family on your desk, and take an interest in your boss's family.
- Only take sick or personal days when you absolutely need to.
- Take on the tasks no one else wants.
- Coordinate fun events for your co-workers.
From Office Pro magazine, July 2011