?

Log in

No account? Create an account
 
 
24 September 2010 @ 01:12 pm
I am charmed  
by the automatic assumption among those who read my LJ that the ramp I fell on back in July was defective and needed handrails, as opposed to my automatic assumption that I'm just clumsy (which even Dale agrees with, except he insists on calling it "accident prone").
 
 
 
Lollee: Marcus Colelolleeroberts on September 24th, 2010 05:18 pm (UTC)
Or you can do as I do in similar situations. Embrace the power of "and".
aedificaaedifica on September 24th, 2010 05:25 pm (UTC)
I do think it needed handrails. Whether or not you are also "accident prone" is beside the point!
Johnjohnpalmer on September 25th, 2010 03:16 am (UTC)
In fact, that's kind of the point of handrails. Everyone has moments of clumsiness; you don't have handrails for the 90% of the time that people don't need them. You have them for that remaining 10% where they're safer or necessary.
vonandmoggy on September 25th, 2010 04:04 am (UTC)
This! :)
Jim Hetleyjhetley on September 24th, 2010 06:16 pm (UTC)
If it qualifies as a ramp within the building code, it needs handrails. That means slope, between 1/20 and 1/12*, and other such things as height above adjacent surfaces.

*Greater than 1/12 pitch is not allowed under current codes for any public route.
Violet Tigressviolet_tigress1 on September 24th, 2010 06:34 pm (UTC)
Just because you may be accident prone, doesn't mean that the ramp wasn't defective.
Jettewolfette on September 24th, 2010 06:59 pm (UTC)
ramps need at least one handrail, unless they're very wide and have a very slow rise.
Cymru Llewescymrullewes on September 24th, 2010 07:53 pm (UTC)
I'm not sure if I've seen a ramp without handrails before. Or at least one handrail.
Jim Hetleyjhetley on September 25th, 2010 12:51 am (UTC)
Current codes require rails on both sides.
fae dobhranladyotterfae on September 24th, 2010 08:18 pm (UTC)
Heh. David will be the first to tell you that I'm a total clutz. he would also be rather thoroughly cranky if I got hurt because someone's ramp wasn't up to code and I clutzed myself right off of it. (granted, he gets cranky when he sees any ramp that isn't up to code, whether we're anywhere near it or not...)
(Deleted comment)
eyverskaeyverska on September 27th, 2010 05:58 pm (UTC)
I am also in the Guild of Clumsy People. If there is one hole in a grassy field I need to cross, my foot will find it!!
Miche: deep breathmicheinnz on September 28th, 2010 08:56 am (UTC)
Sounded like a simple case of defective-and-needed-handrails to me.

I once fell through the inadequate handrails on a ramp and landed on my head. Whisked to hospital at lightspeed with a suspected skull fracture, the works.

Fortunately I hadn't broken anything but I did have a couple of bone bruises and felt like shit for a few days.

And the next time I went to that place they'd made the handrails so that you couldn't slip under them. I regarded it as a win all the way round.